Do you remember how my husband performed his first roadside rescue? If not, and you want a laugh, here is the post.
And here is the object of his rescue …
Ain’t she sweet. The only thing that has delayed its makeover was the raised split in the timber top.
I had no idea how to fix it. So I thought I’d lift it a little, and that is when a huge chunk of wood split off. Oh well, decision made. I would take the entire top layer of wood off. I used a paint scrapper to get under the wood and lift it off. It was a task and a half and took a while. But, it did come off. 🙂
And revealed a large stain which I assumed to be water damage from the cracked wood I removed.
I commenced sanding the entire table, which lead to the discovery of a yellow flaking substance all over. I assume this was old varnish. It was time consuming to remove, but did flake off quite easily.
Live and learn because I really should have applied a primer, but in my haste I applied my first coat of chalk paint, made from flat paint and Plaster of Paris. First time I had tried this mixture as I usually use grout instead. This was a lot less lumpy, but not a very smooth finish.
After I had applied 3 coats to the top I noticed I had a large tannin stain seeping through the paint. Nooo!
I went to the hardware and found this product from White Knight. It’s called Stain Stop Binder and was half the price of regular stain primer. I found it super easy to apply and a little went a long way. I couldn’t smell it at all, which is good cause I was doing it inside and it washed up in water.
I was very happy with the result. No stain! 🙂
I reapplied my top coat paint twice and then sanded and distressed all over.
To finish off I rubbed on a coat of furniture wax.
Here she is in our hall with my Easter display. 🙂
So, for something that cost nothing, I’m very pleased with our new piece of furniture. Hubby also approves of the makeover. 🙂 Great find honey, well worth the camo roll. 😉
I love to share my projects at these totally amazing Link Parties!